Michigan newlyweds celebrate on highway after limo goes up in smoke

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Burning love, indeed.

>> Read more trending news

A Michigan couple who had just tied the knot and were heading to their wedding reception had to stop when their limousine caught fire, WJBK-TV reported. Making the most of a bad situation, the wedding party celebrated on the side of an interstate while waiting for a new vehicle to take them to their reception.

Brendan Kiel and Isabel Kosnik had just said “I do” at East Church in Grand Rapids and were heading to their reception in Holland, on the shores of Lake Michigan, for a reception at Port 393, according to the television station.

The bride, groom, wedding party and photographer Andi Bennett were in a Hummer limo when the vehicle’s engine began to smoke on Interstate 196 near Hudsonville, WZZM-TV reported.

“I started to smell like a little bit of something burning,” Isabel Kosnik Kiel told the television station.

The driver pulled over and the wedding party moved to the side of the road, WJBK reported.

“Within seconds that white smoke from the engine turned black,” Bennett told WZZM. “The limo driver said he could see fire, and we started booking it down the side of the highway.”

Bennett dutifully snapped photographs of the smoldering limo while waiting for police and fire officials to extinguish the flames.

Making the most of a bad situation, the wedding party began celebrating and was even joined by deputies from the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office, according to WJBK.

“Some were barefoot, some had drinks in hand, we decided to carry on the party on the side of the highway while we wait,” Bennett told WZZM. “I saw it as a good photo opportunity to encourage them to keep having fun and enjoy it as best they good.”

That will be quite a memory for the newlyweds.

“We’re definitely framing some of those pictures because it’s so funny,” the bride told WZZM.

Another party bus arrived to take the group to the wedding reception. Isabel Kiel said the limousine company will reimburse the couple for the smoking beginning to their married life.

“We went straight to our reception,” she told WZZM. “And when we actually got off the bus, all of our vendors were standing there in like this tunnel clapping for us. Like we had just survived the worst thing ever, which was so funny.

“This could have been so much worse. And I think for all of us, there was a point where all of our jaws were on the ground because we were just like, OK, this could have been very bad if we didn’t get off.”

On Air103.7 Chuck FM - We Play Everything Logo

amazon alexa

Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!